Saturday, September 21, 2019

Book Review: The Chain by Adrian McKinty

The Chain by Adrian McKinty

Hardcover, 357 pages

Published July 2019 by Mulholland Books

Well I had not read a crime thriller in awhile and this book came with high praise on twitter from Stephen King and Don Winslow, I put a hold on at the library knowing nothing about the plot. At first, when the plot was quickly revealed I was not sure I would enjoy this but I was very interested in how the story was structured so I kept reading.

I am glad I did, when you have spent the majority of the year reading the fucking weirdest books of the 60's science fiction new wave it collars a book like this. This felt like a very mainstream thriller to me. That is more a result of the reading pattern I have this year. I kept waiting for time loops, or androids copies to show up and that is on me. While The Chain is not as focused on gender themes as as say Gone Girl, this intense crime thriller fits nicely with that book or the recent novels of Sarah Pinborough.

The novel is anchored in a strong female lead in Rachel but the vulnerability of the family is at the heart of this novel. The concept follows a dark web network that is called The Chain. Your child has been kidnapped, not only do you have to pay the ransom but you are responsible for taking the next kid and keeping the cycle going. The novel opens on the kidnapping of Kylie the young daughter of a divorced cancer survivor who is about to start her first year as a philosophy professor. Much of the suspense and tension builds from the concept of what would you do to protect your child.

I will try to do this without spoilers but it should not be too much of a surprise that the novel eventually looks into the lives of the people behind the chain. The structure of the novel was the most interesting thing to me. The novel has two distinct parts and where the story is devided and and at the half way mark it appears that the story could end. I like how the story is organized, and I think the story is well told for the most part. I can see why crime thriller readers will eat up this concept. It would make a great movie with the right director and cast.

That said there were a few times I wish McKinty had slowed it down just a bit. A few characters like a MIT professor in the second half comes in and out a little to fast for me. There was also a single sentance that was so cheezy in the final 20 pages that made me laugh. Marty Rachel's ex actually points out the window and says basically "Hey is that my wife out there running in the show." A book published at this level should have an editor say "hey show don't tell the dude."

Over all, I recommend this for thriller readers and honestly, I read this in two days, it is a quick read for sure. I didn't love this but I did really like it.

No comments: