Saturday, January 29, 2022

Magazine Review: The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, November/December 2021 (F&SF #758) Edited by Sheree Renée Thomas


 

The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, November/December 2021 (F&SF #758) Edited by Sheree Renée Thomas  

258 pages Published November 2021 by Spilogale, Inc.

 Kinda decided against writing a full review. I just want to quickly write a note about why I am so happy to be a subscriber and my favorite things in this issue. I have read this magazine all my life off and on. Picking it up at the rack when stories by certain authors caught my interest. Recently learning the history of the magazine by researching the co-founder Anthony Boucher for an episode of the podcast (featuring publisher Gordan Van Gelder) really got me thinking about the importance of this magazine and that I wanted to be around forever. So I put my money where my mouth is and got a subscription.

This is the first issue I have read edited by Sheree Renee' Thomas, A writer whose stories I have read a few times and enjoyed. I follow her online and thought She was a great choice for the editor. It is clear that she was by the international feeling of this issue.

My favorite piece was the cover novella by Nalo Hopkinson - "Broad Duty Water." It is a Cli-fi somewhat cyberpunk tale that plays with a similar future and vibe to Stormland the latest by Cyperpunk legend John Shirley. Hopkinson's story here is just the most solid in the issue that I wished was a whole novel. Here is hoping she explores this future again.

I enjoy the more sci-fi stories than the fantasy ones so my other favorite was the Australian set "The Vast Silence" by T.R. Napper. This was a really good story with subtle but effective world-building.

I am glad I got the subscription. I hope you will follow me. 

No comments: