Sunday, August 1, 2021

Book Review: Fallout: The Hiroshima Cover-up and the Reporter Who Revealed It to the World by Lesley M.M. Blume


 

The Hiroshima Cover-up and the Reporter Who Revealed It to the World by Lesley M.M. Blume

Hardcover, 288 pages
Published August 4th 2020 by Simon Schuster

 

 75 years have passed since the U.S. war machine crushed the city of Hiroshima. History and non-fiction books are not my strength as a reviewer. What I mean is I can write a lot about the construction of horror and Science fiction but I love history.

Lesley Blume wrote a really important book here, it was a library grab. It was not exactly the book I wanted or expected. I just assumed that the whole book would be filled with crazy details about the massive destruction. Those horrors are here in the book but it is not an overwhelming list of misery.

This book is more of a story of author and journalist John Hersey got around the attempts to cover up the aftermath. His story and how he got it out to the world through the New Yorker is the backbone of this book. It is an interesting story and one I am glad I read.  

For more information you could also check out this talk with the author from the World War 2 museum.

Check out this video! 

No comments: