Monday, March 22, 2021

Graphic Novel Review: Gideon Falls, Vol. 1: The Black Barn by Jeff Lemire (Writer), Andrea Sorrentino (Artist)


 

Gideon Falls, Vol. 1: The Black Barn
(Gideon Falls #1)
by Jeff Lemire (Writer), Andrea Sorrentino (Artist),
Dave Stewart (Colorist)
Paperback, 160 pages
Published October 2018 by Image Comics
 

I don’t know what I am doing reviewing comics so I will keep this a little short but I wanted to acknowledge that I read this and enjoyed it. In this last year I tried to read a few comic series. I started and enjoyed East of West and Saga because in part they felt like they would be impossible to exist in any other form. No way a Saga TV show or movie would make sense. That is the thing that attracted me to those series more than anything. I did enjoy the stories and the art was fine, but it was a different feeling.

That is not the case with Gideon Falls, which feels like a lost TV series. I see how it would be filmed, I am hearing a score in my head. That is a totally different trick but one writer Jeff Lemire and artist Andrea Sorrentino can feel good about it. I have no idea where the mystery of the murders and truth behind the black barn is going but I am here for it.

The art is amazing, and the way the panels are organized is great, don’t try reading it in low light as I did the first evening I was reading this book. The story and the setting is creepy with a big fat capital C. When our point of view character a washed-up Catholic priest asks what happened to the man he is replacing the fear to answer is really earned.

Norton the paranoid character trying to solve the mystery is two years ahead of the curve wearing a mask. His murder wall is one you really spend some time with while reading the book.

Atmosphere, mood, tone, and vibe. That is what this book is about. Really interested in where it is going.

No comments: