Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Book Review: Something Deeply Hidden: Quantum Worlds and the Emergence of Spacetime by Sean Carroll

Something Deeply Hidden: Quantum Worlds and the Emergence of Spacetime by Sean Carroll

Hardcover, 368 pages

Published September 2019 by Dutton

This book is not for everyone. Sean Carroll is an author I reviewed before with his epic book about the universe the Big Picture. I feel more deeply connected to this author because I know his voice well. I listen every week to his podcast mindscape that I often describe as Sean Carrol talks to other geniuses. I was familiar with these ideas and the many-worlds theories before not just as a Carroll podcast listener but as a huge Sci-fi nerd and Philip K Dick Podcaster. We have talked about Many-worlds in a pseudo-science 60's way a lot.

I am not going to pretend for one minute that I am able to process more than the basic ideas here. I read this book quickly because whenever math or the Nitty-Gritty of how particles spin. I really enjoyed the history of discovery and how Carroll weaves the methods that the greats in science came to the various theories that make Quantum science. I know this will sound corny but my love for this topic has roots in my favorite childhood horror movie John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness that was the first place that a young me heard of Quantum psychics.

This is primarily an introduction to one of the most debated issues in the study of spacetime, as such I think it is a good introduction but the big bottom line in this review do you enjoy this stuff? I do and still felt the need to skip a few parts. I enjoy Sean Carroll's books because he helps takes universe-spanning Ideas and boils them down.

Separated into three sections, part one is where we get the majority of the history. This part is called Spooky based on the idea that even Einstein in the early days found these issues to be hard to deal with. In this section, Carroll sets up the questions that we are going to ponder. The second part is called Splitting and gets into what it all means. Part three Spacetime is where most of the interesting theories happen.

The most interesting concepts for me were near the end. "It is plausible that the symmetry between space and time that we are familiar with from relativity isn't built into Quantum Gravity." Oh no he didn't? Was there more to the universe than Einstein could see? sure and towards the end Carroll questions if Space is even part of the equation and this tiny level. Another part I enjoyed was one of the last chapters that explained more of the science behind Black holes, as Hawking was quoted in the book Black holes ain't so black.

I enjoyed Carroll's last book more than this one but that could have as much to do with the epic themes of that one. This one was designed to be a purely academic exercise, while the Big Picture dealt with the point where the rubber meets the road between cosmology and philosophy.

No comments: