Wednesday, January 1, 2020

My Favorite Movies of the Decade 2010-2019

So I had planned a big podcast with Langhorne and Issa of Good Clean Fun debating what we thought were the best movies of the decade. I still think that would be a good podcast. and it might still happen in the meantime here.

Honorable mentions to Book of Eli and Boyhood.

20) I Saw the Devil: Brutal Korean revenge flick meets extreme horror. Not for the faint of heart. Saw it at the Hollywood Theater in Portland with my homey Magik.

19)The Colony: Very bleak post apoc horror film that is really well made despite a lower budget. I watched it at home from red box when that was still a thing.

18)Cloud Atlas: Wachowski siblings were in super awesome form and I don't want to forget Tom Tywker. Excellent cross-cutting between six story lines. Very underrated movie. Laurelhurst Theater in Portland with my Flesh Trade co-author Edward Morris.

17) Take Shelter: Excellent performance from Michael Shannon in a horror film that no one considers a horror film. One of the best movies about Paranoia. Jeff Nichols has yet to make a stinker. Saw this at home.

16)Into the Spider-Verse: Excellent writing, amazing concept, and near flawless execution. Probably the best spiderman movie. Saw it by myself in Bloomington Indiana Showplace East

15) Moonlight: Powerful film, that uses three time-lines and different actors to talk about the black gay experience. I am a super for interweaving timelines. Saw it at home.

14) Dredd: Sure there is a movie on this list with almost the same plot that is better made, but they were made at the same time and an accident. After a few attempts, this stripped to the bone action movie was the best way to do this character. Watched in Eugene with Fn' Dave. He insisted when I admitted I had not seen it.

13) It Comes at Night: This IS a horror movie. I have debated this movie constantly with my Deadite editor Jeff Burk and Who Goes There podcast co-host Matt Smith. It is one of the best paranoid dread filmed horror movies of this period. Great use of a small budget. Saw it at HIFF presented preview screening at Mission Valley AMC in San Diego.

12)Star Wars: The Last Jedi: I think Rian Johnson was the best thing to happen to Disney SW and it is clear that the fans don't deserve him. I think he took a swing and told a bold story that challenged the fans and characters. Saw it at Hazard Center in San Diego with my homey Nate.

11)The Shape of Water: Del Toro's best is still Pan's Labyrinth but I love that a romance with the creature of the Black Lagoon won best picture. Great movie on every level. Love it. Hazard Center by myself.

10) Once Upon a time in Hollywood: You don't have to like QT personally but damn can the guy tell a story. This alternate history of Hollywood is masterful and QT's best movie since Jackie Brown. I say this as someone who likes all his movies Except Death Proof. Hazard Center by myself.

9) Midnight Special: Underrated Sci-fi movie that has a crazy amazing ending. It is part Starman and part Close Encounters but don't let that fool you it is not about what you think it is. I LOVE this movie. Landmark Hillcrest With Cari.

8) Rogue One: I have wanted to see an actual Star War, that felt like a war movie forever. This was up my alley as it was clearly influenced by the same World War Two mission movies as my latest novel Goddamn Killing Machines. This is SW Dirty Dozen and I love every moment. I could watch it over and over. AMC Mission Valley with homey Nate.

7)Parasite: I saw this before the hype, when /Film Podcast was the only place I heard talk about it. I think the hype is hurting this film. If you go into not expecting much you'll get a thrilling multi-layered Korean drama about class warfare. Saw it at home with Cari. 6) Young Detective Dee and the Rise of the Sea Dragon: All the Tusi Hark Dee movies are great but this one is a crazy Chinese Sherlock meets Lovecraft's Shadow over Innsmouth hybrid. Totally insanity. I loved every second. Saw it at Horton Plaza by myself. Last movie I saw at that theater which was the first I ever went to in SD.

5) The Rover: Guy Pierce is my favorite actor and he is amazing in this low budget bleak Aussie end of the world movie. Pierce plays a crazed man who chases thieves across the wasteland to get his car back. Landmark Hillcrest theater by myself.

4)The Raid: Redemption: The most bananas action movie ever made. I watched at home on video after working an overnight shift and didn't fall asleep. I saw the sequel with Magik at the Laurelhurst theater.

3)Blade Runner 2049: Look I do a PKD podcast, I love the original Blade Runner. I think this is a beautiful looking well deserving sequel. If you thought it was boring I question if you really know the 82 film. I think the movie didn't need Harrison Ford honestly, but it also did OK with him. Grossmont center theater with Nate, Anthony, and his homies.

2)Mandy: Dark beauty, crazy performance. A sword-shaped like the Celtic Frost logo. Slow-burn leads to pure film insanity. I think it is amazing this film got made. Streamed at home day of release.

1)Mad Max Fury Road: Yes the action is crazy and unrelenting. I know people who complain there is not a story. That is not true. There is an amazing story that is just told at such a pace that many flat out miss it because they are overwhelmed with the action. I loved every second of it. AMC Mission Valley with Marty and Anthony.

No comments: