Sunday, November 24, 2019

Book Review: Heaven, My Home by Attica Locke

Heaven, My Home(Highway 59 #2) by Attica Locke

Hardcover, 295 pages

Published September 2019 by Mulholland Books

I first heard about this book from a really good Fresh Air interview, once I was interested in the book I put a hold on the book at the library. I don't know how I missed the fact that the book was the second in a series. I probably would not have gotten this book if I had known that certainly, I would have made an effort to read the first book, but it came in my holds and decided to read it anyways. I suppose there could be an argument that I missed out on aspects of this book, so just consider that when reading this review.

Heaven, My Home is a mystery about the disappearance of Levi King. He is the 9-year old son of a white supremacist that I understand was a key figure in the first book. Our main character is a Texas Ranger Darren Matthews. He is coming off an investigation that left his career in jeopardy. His marriage is in tatters, his shady mother has the gun used in a (justified?) murder hidden from him. So when Levi's Dad, the man Darren put in prison asks for his help finding his boy that is when the mystery begins.

This novel is a very rich mystery with more levels than I expected when the book started. My experience with east-Texas fiction is entirely from Joe R. Lansdale - who is an author with a very serious distinct voice. He is just regional to that part of Texas as Stephen King is to Maine. It was nice to read another voice from the region. That weird off-beat humor of Lansdale is something I had begun to associate with the language of the region. That said Locke is a powerful writer who is very talented at characterization and timing. The reveals of the story are all handled perfectly.

There is one scene in prison when Levi's Dad begs Darren to help him and it is a very powerful dramatic scene that was my favorite moment of the whole book. Once the final act comes and the depth of the mystery is revealed you will be glad you picked up this book. A great socio-political mystery from an author I intend to read and follow despite mystery not being my main genre.

No comments: