Thursday, July 18, 2019

Book Review: Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street by Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson (Illustrator)

Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street

by Warren Ellis

and Darick Robertson (Illustrator)

Darick Robertston (Illustrator)

Rodney Ramos (Illustrator)

Nathan Eyring (Illustrator)

I am not a big reading of Graphic novels these days but I am a long time fan of the Hellblazer series. and it occurred to me the other day that I needed to read more original works by the writers who wrote many of my favorite storylines. Now this book is right up my sleeve. I am a fan of Ellis and have read/reviewed some of his prose before. This comic series is trashy sci-fi, like a gritty dystopic cyberpunk that is heavy on the punk.

The story of Spider Jerusalem a Caustic journalist who makes John Constantine look respectable. Shaved head, tattoos and a body that looks like it is barely surviving meth addiction. He lives with a two-headed cat who smokes Russian cigarettes. He lives in a shit-hole writing columns about the government and the violent repression in the drug invested city that makes Dredd's Megacity look like Beverley Hills.

There are moments it is hard to believe that this was written in 1998. The art looks like old school comics which gives this an even more displaced feeling. Spider uses a typewriter that looks like a laptop, the way news and TV work in this series are very forward-thinking. As a serious Philip K Dick head I approved of many elements that were Dickish. I liked the challenging nature of it.

I know I am late to the party but I am excited to read as much of this series as I can find.

No comments: