Sunday, May 5, 2019

Book review up: Infomocracy by Malka Ann Older

Infomocracy by Malka Ann Older

Hardcover, 380 pages

Published June 2016 by Tor.com

So this is the book that has lead me to decide that I need to make a shelf for books that I learned about on Geeks Guide to the Galaxy. I heard Malka Older on a episode about political activism and was totally sold on the concept. This might be a short review as I finished this when I was in the final stage of edits for my next novel, and my brain was a bit fried. I also have finished a book since and that is not my favorite way to review a book. So sorry if I didn't give this book the attention it deserves

This novel at times has a cyperpunk feel just in that much of the novel place in our future where all things online mingle with real life. Don't go in expecting Cyberpunk, there is little punk about this novel. That is fine because this story needed a straighter approach. It has more in common with political thrillers than saw the weird works of say Sterling or Gibson. Think the Ryan Gosling movie Ides of March meets Leguin. It is part political and part spy thriller. Some of the characters are thinly depicted but not the two leads Mishima and Ken who develop a relationship despite coming from different forces. They are well written and engaging characters that I was interested and invested in.

The world building and ideas conveyed about this possible futures use of Micro-democracy was interesting. It was the strength of the novel for me. I certainly see why Older is planning to revisit the setting. There is action, and even swords that might be a little out of place but I choose to go with it. You see in this future the world is divided into micro democracies that are spread around the world to represent voting blocks not just by countries or ideals but sometimes by corporations. You can move around the world following the voters who connect to your ideas. If I remember this all correctly.

The pace of the novel starts a little slow, and it took me a little while to get comfortable with the world building once I did I was glad I. This is an impressive novel, even if it was not totally my jam. This was the first novel published by Tor.com's excellent line of books that until this were all novellas. They tend to be great. I will keep my eye out for the author.

No comments: