Thursday, December 27, 2018

Top Ten Movies of 2018!

M:I Fallout: It is amazing that this movie written as they went, and broken up by it's star busting his ankle. The youtube video of Tom Cruise doing all the stunts is almost as exciting as the movie itself. None the less it was a spectacle on the big screen. Super fun.

Leave no Trace: The story this is based on was big in the news in Portland when it happened and I remembered it being on the news. It was cool to see Forrest Park where we liked to hike back when lived there. The two leads were great, this was a a really moving film at times. Simple but powerful film.

Annihilation: I was a huge fan of the novel coming in, and this might have been at the top of my list if they had cut 10 seconds out of the opening and cut the last two minutes. I am glad I saw this very sacry sci-fi surreal horror film in the theater.

First Man: Powerful movie and well made. I thought this movie did a great job of capturing the insanity of early space travel. I also like the score.

Upgrade: Sci-fi meets dumb 80's style action movie, this is like spiritual cousin to the first Robo-cop or Total Recall.

BlacKKKlansman: Spike Lee's best movie since Malcolm X. Funny at times, heart breaking you could hear a pin drop during the final scene.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: There is a reason it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes so don't sleep on it. The story is cute, funny and sweet at times. It is a excellent example of fantastic writing that appeals to all ages and the animation itself is worth seeing.

Hereditary: It might be a better movie than the two I have listed above it, but I did have some nitpicks. This movie was a a totally amazing theater experience. It was a horror movie anyone who says differently is not thinking clearly. Toni Collette is getting robbed not getting nominated for this movie.

Mute: It is my least favorite Duncan Jones movie of the three I have seen, and I know many people didn't like it. Mute worked for me. It was a weird sci-fi film with lots despicable characters. Jones said the movie was inspired by MASH (the movie not the TV) and it is weird movie, and if you can't tell that is what I like best.

Mandy: I understand why some don't like this movie, some accused it as style over substance, but I personally found it to be a perfect balance of insanity, story and pure weird. The visuals are amazing, Cage and the cast were great and it is the only movie I have ever seen where a character forges a sword that is shapped like the logo of Celetic Frost.

No comments: