Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Book Review Corpse Paint by David Peak (audio review w/ Anthony Trevino)

Corpse Paint by David Peak

Paperback, 240 pages

Published April 2018 by Word Horde

I am a tough customer when it comes to metal related fiction. It is rare that movies or books fictionalize metal in an authentic way. It is tough because it is a very specific world. I am a punk and hardcore person, as far the scene I am a part of that is the world I prefer. However when I am finding music to listen to just as I am working I am a metal dude. My relationship with black metal goes back to the late 90's. John the singer of my favorite vegan death metal/core crossover band at the time was Day of Suffering gave me my first black metal records. He gave me a tape that had Emperor, Cradle of Filth and Mayhem on it.

I have been a death metal guy for awhile but the raw crazy-ness of Black metal appealed to me. I actually like Cradle best (Dusk and her Embrace was the most recent album at the time) even though I was told they were posers. What did I care I thought the true black metal lifestyle was weird and silly. I mean these guys took being "evil" a bit too seriously right?

So that is the thing about this novel, I think this novel is GREAT. That said I am not sure if this novel will work for anyone who is not familiar with black metal. The title is a good way to judge if it is for you. Do I need to explain what the title is a reference to?

In the audio review posted with this review my writing partner and Dickheads podcast co-host Anthony Trevino disagrees with me. You'll just have to listen. The review in the form of a discussion is here...

No comments: