Saturday, October 31, 2015

Prince of Darkness screening in the Church where it was filmed

The year I discovered horror in my life was 1987. Living in Indiana as a kid I was starting 8th grade already reading Stephen King and Clive Barker. Obsessed with our local horror host Sammy Terry and reading Fangoria every single month. Walking down to our comic shop 25th century Five and Dime on the Tuesday it came out to get it. My favorite filmmaker was John Carpenter who I knew from first from Starman a sci-fi romance that was a movie my mother and I bonded on before she died. I was looking forward to and following the fango coverage of Prince of Darkness and Hellraiser for months. I had to get my father and later a family friend to take me as I was too young for the R-rated movies.

To this day they are two of my favorite horror films which of course got better as I got older and could fully understand them. Prince of Darkness however is my favorite horror movie no doubt. Carpenter's The Thing may be better and I am sure if I really thought about it there are better horror movies, but it is a my personal favorite.

It is very Lovecraftian, cosmic horror with lots of Science fiction melded in. It is scary moody, great score. Love it.

So on October 29th 2015 almost three decades later I with my friends Marty, Larry and Anthony to a screening of Prince of Darkness at the church (now a converted theater house)where the movie was filmed in Little Tokyo.

What an amazing experience. Driving up to the church and seeing it was a jaw dropping experience alone. There it was.
Then we parked by the back where one of my favorite scenes was filmed walked the alley where Zombie Alice Cooper stabbed a dude with a bike frame.

The movie screened in the same room where the scientists set up their control room. So this very room is where we watched the movie.

The East west players who run the theater smartly set up the front doors for pictures...
Remember this..."This is not a dream... not a dream. We are using your brain's electrical system as a receiver. We are unable to transmit through conscious neural interference. You are receiving this broadcast as a dream. We are transmitting from the year one, nine, nine, nine. You are receiving this broadcast in order to alter the events you are seeing. Our technology has not developed a transmitter strong enough to reach your conscious state of awareness, but this is not a dream. You are seeing what is actually occurring for the purpose of causality violation." Also you can hear myself and other San Diego horror professionals disscuss this Prince Of Darkness on the horrible imaginings podcast recorded live on stage at the New Central Library's Halloween event in San Diego. about 1 hour and half in we talk Prince of Darkness. You should listen to the whole thing why not. http://www.hifilmfest.com/newspost/147halloweenspecial/

No comments: