Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Book Review: The Dawn of a Mindful Universe: A Manifesto for Humanity's Future Marcelo Gleiser


 The Dawn of a Mindful Universe: A Manifesto for Humanity's Future by Marcelo Gleiser

Ideally this a book that would get a wider audience. As an activist and a vegan, I have been working to combat climate change and the holocaust of animals for decades now. I understand the depths of the crisis, I understand the lengths required to get people to care, I mean they say they care but will they act?

Enter Marcelo Gleiser, an award-winning astronomer and physicist who is trying to make the argument that science is an argument for an enlightened treatment of our only planet. There is some interesting history going back to Copernicus that is meant to establish the journey science has taken us on in our understanding of the universe.

So the message which I am not sure should take an entire book is something to say that we need to embrace a new life-centric perspective, one which recognizes just how rare and precious life is and why it should be our mission to preserve and nurture it. As a person who doesn’t eat honey and has been vegan for thirty years, I think our mileage may vary on what is a life-centric perspective. This was a well intentioned book, but I felt like this could’ve been an essay.  I was going to say 3/5 stars but the message as such it gets higher marks. 4/5.

No comments: