Saturday, December 9, 2023

Book review: 101 Horror Books to Read Before You're Murdered by Sadie Hartmann

 


101 Horror Books to Read Before You're Murdered by Sadie Hartmann 

168 pages, Paperback
Published  August, 2023 by Page Street Publishing

*In January Sadie is returning to my podcast

Her first appearance was on this panel about favorite horror novels...


Sadie's first time on the pod, top horror novel panel

Sadie Hartmann was first on my radar as the trusted source of book recs on Twitter and Instagram for probably a decade now. While we don't always agree on books I always respect Sadie's opinion.  Even if I think being a horror fiction expert and not liking horror movies is a little strange.  This review will be shorter than my fiction reviews but I want to tell you how it can be helpful, and why if not on your shelf at least get it from the library.

One thing that was helpful for me about following Sadie online is that she gave me a window into some of the modern, and indie books that are hard to follow. I mean there are as many new indie horror authors as there are local bands out there. How do you find the gems?   Sure I don't need this book to tell who Alma Katsu and Paul Tremblay is, but I know I am also not the target audience. At the same time, it is fun to read the commentary.

Part of the fun is seeing the commentary that you agree with and disagree with. I think the dark bizarro arm of horror is largely missed. Important voices to me like Gina Ranali and Cody Goodfellow for two examples that I personally think should be on everyone's list. No project like this will have everything you are personally looking for. I mean I can't understand this book not having one Sarah Pinborough title, but considering how many new to me authors I found I can only split so many hairs.

Sadie did an amazing job and the best part she is working on something new. Author spotlights, essays, book reviews based on subgenres. This is a must-have for horror readers, make a list and make requests at your library or take it to the horror section at Barnes and Noble. It will help you find what you are looking for.

No comments: