Sunday, March 19, 2023

Graphic novel review: Star Trek Discovery: Aftermath by Kirsten Beyer & Mike Johnson

 


Star Trek Discovery: Aftermath
by Kirsten Beyer & Mike Johnson W/ Artists Tony Shasteen & Angel Hernadez

96 pages, Paperback 

April 14, 2020 by IDW Publishing


I am way late to read this comic, I checked it out from the library on the week that it was announced that season five would be the final for Disco. I have complicated feelings about Discovery, and while this review should be about this comic I am going to express some feelings for the show in general.

I am a fan of Discovery in general, it took me a couple of episodes to warm to it. Amid the first season chaos I was just stoked to have a new Star Trek, I always loved Michelle Yeoh, but it is my argument Disco is better if you start at episode 3. I believe the journey for Burnham is one that is better if the reasons she did her mutiny are background or a bit of a mystery. Season 2 to me is the best season, which primes me for this comic. It wasn’t just Captain Pike and Spock, although that helps a lot.

The first half of this graphic novel takes place after the events of the season two finale, and that is the half I enjoyed slightly more. The first half shows what Spock and Pike dealt with directly after the events of season two (spoilers for that season if you have not watched it) I loved that Discovery made a sacrifice by traveling 900 years in the future re-setting both the show and giving the characters a powerful arc.

This comic shows Captain Pike and Chancellor L’Rell making peace we know through Trek history will be precarious. The second story is about Disco’s first mission after Saru becomes captain. I really enjoyed the art and story in both. More Captain Pike is always plus for me. It also helped to make sense of some of the events in the Klingon war and how it relates to canon.
As for the last few seasons of Discovery. I like what we got but always felt Discovery could have been even better.

Season three felt rushed to me. Discovery travels 900 years into a future without warp travel. Burnham and Disco find each other after two episodes, which should have been A and B storylines for longer. Disco has to be a fish out of water for more episodes. I think finding Starfleet and the Federation should've taken all of season three. Season 4 instead of being another galaxy-threatening mystery box should've been about re-starting the Federation. To me, that was far more worthy of a season of Trek. The story of new life and communication was stretched too far.

That said I love Discovery as it is. Will miss it. I just think it could have been even better. Oh yeah, I liked this graphic novel, and want to read more of expanded universe Discovery.

No comments: