Friday, March 3, 2023

Graphic novel review: Star Trek Year Five The Wine-Dark Deep by Jackson Lanzing, Collin Kelly, Stephen Thompson (Illustrations)


 

Star Trek Year Five The Wine-Dark Deep by Jackson Lanzing, Collin Kelly, Stephen Thompson (Illustrations)

144 pages IDW publishing

July 2020

I have not figured out a rhythm for writing graphic novel reviews, but let me give you a few thoughts on this comic series. I have mixed feelings about Star Trek Year four and five comics. They are fun, and I enjoy them.  There are two ways to write these stories. To make them feel like lost episodes or make use of the lack of budget to tell wild Sci-fi stories that the TV show wanted, but couldn't do.

In this case, they are also telling stories that TOS would not have gotten away with...we will get there in a moment.

I enjoyed 2/3 of the stories, and the first one featuring the Thoalian child, was really interesting, and really built on Thoalian lore as we know.  The best storyline however was  The Sulu meets A Shape of Water was great, and when they returned to her planet...I loved all that. Loved it.

No comments: