Thursday, May 20, 2021

Graphic novel review: John Constantine: Hellblazer, Vol. 1: Marks of Woe


 John Constantine: Hellblazer, Vol. 1: Marks of Woe 
Written by Simon Spurrier,

OK this third Hellblazer reboot is a part of a new interwoven Sandman mini-universe written by this writer Simon Spurrier. Hellblazer is my all-time favorite comic and comic book character. I am not as familiar with the wider Gaiman/ Sandman universe so I am ignorant of that. This feels like classic Hellblazer and is not getting a serious re-working. This is the classic John Constantine, old and beaten down.

This Constantine has brushes with multi-universal versions of himself in some of this arc's best moments. The character stuff is all good and works. The art styles are all over the place, I like the dark horror look of Hellblazer and some of these styles were too cartoony. Overall I enjoyed this experience and want to read more of Spurrier's work with Hellblazer. Sorry, it is not much I have to say but again crushing a deadline means a short review.

No comments: