Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Graphic Novel review: After the Rain by Nnedi Okorafor, John Jennings (Adapted by) David Brame (Illustrations),


 
After the Rain by Nnedi Okorafor, John Jennings (Adapted by) 
David Brame (Illustrations),
Hardcover, 128 pages
Published January 2021 by Harry N. Abrams

 After the Rain was something I jumped on as soon as I saw our library had a copy. I am already a big fan of Nnedi Okorafor, the BINTI trilogy is one I really enjoy. She has become for me an author I will always check out when available. Binti is a great African futurist space opera that is told over three novellas ripe for more exploration.

John Jennings who wrote this adaptation has been a guest on my podcast before to talk about his fantastic take on the Octavia Butler classic Parable of the Sower.  So the idea of Jennings and Nnedi Okorafor together was something I didn't want to miss.

For me, this was a one-sitting read that is equal parts powerful story and beautiful art. It is the story of Chioma a Chicago cop who returns to Nigeria to visit her family and connect with her Grandmother. Once there the spiritual nature of the place brings to the surface some of the these she is haunted by.

The tone is set by massive rains that surprise everyone during the dry season. This strange event is a catalyst that results in ghosts, spirits, and tortured memories. I have not read the original short story but Jennings and Brame breathe a powerful life into this tale.

Really cool ghost story with tons of African vibes and amazing art. Beyond the cool art and ghost story are deep themes of redemption, guilt, and cultural identity. Heavy stuff but all woven into the story.  Big thumbs up.

No comments: