Saturday, August 29, 2026

Book Review: 12 Hours by L. Marie Wood (Selected Papers from the Consortium for the Study of Anomalous Phenomena #2)

 


 
12 Hours by L. Marie Wood (Selected Papers from the Consortium for the Study of Anomalous Phenomena #2)

80 pages, paperback. 

Published January, 2024 by Raw Dog Screaming Press

My experience with this author is limited to one conversation at the 2024 Stokercon; she was moderating a panel or on a panel- not sure but we had a short conversation, and I decided I needed to check out her work. I am sorry it took me two years, but I was searching for novellas on my library app, and there it was. Took a month to get transferred but that is the state of things. 

I was a little worried when I saw this was a book two; it is actually stand alone story, second in a loosely themed series. All great authors, from a great publisher, Raw Screaming Dog Press.  The Selected Papers from the Consortium for the Study of Anomalous Phenomena series has some authors I really respect, like David Sander, so I will check them out. 

This novella is short on page count, but long in vibe and atmosphere. What makes it special is the very strange POV; that of a murdered corpse makes for a one-of-a-kind experience. A lesser writer would have cheated on this concept. Not here. The murdered cabbie is a fully realized character. I was drawn into the mystery, and there were a few really creepy moments.

I read this in the lead-up to PKD Fest, so I don’t have as many thoughts or pull quotes as I might normally have.  Very short novella, a one-sit read, and fully recommended.

No comments: