Friday, February 23, 2024

Audiobook review:The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil by Seth MacFarlane

 

I have been on the record about my feelings about The Orville. I loved all three seasons, and of course, the third season was incredible. I have not enjoyed the discourse that pitted Orville against ST. I end both shows, universes. Seth MacFarlane dialed back the humor the humor in the third season, while I missed a bit of hijinks the show had gotten so good at telling Next Generation worthy Science Fiction I have been starving for more. If you missed it check my interview with writer and producer Brannon Braga talking about season three here:

Audio of my Brannon Braga Orville season Three interview

Video of Brannon Braga interview 

I missed the characters and the overall vibe. So I have been dying for Orville novels. The first we got was a novella that I consumed as an audiobook.

(For the record Seth and crew I am a published novelist and I would love to pitch Orville novels just saying)

The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil was written by creator Seth MacFarlane and it is an excellent short novel that seems like a planned episode that got novel treatment. It is impossible to write or talk about this novel without spoiling the GREAT reveal. I went in cold knowing nothing about the plot. For most of the audiobook, I was frustrated wondering where The Orville and the characters were. The wait was worth the payoff. All that frustration in the first half didn't matter with the power of the reveal.

This is a powerful political science fiction story that uses unique SF elements to explore complex ethical issues. An emotional story about the holocaust that has Philip K. Dick themes of what is real. More Orville TV seasons would be ideal, but novels or comics are something us thirsty fans would slurp up in a heartbeat.

No comments: