Saturday, July 29, 2023

Book Review: After Engulfment: Cosmicism and Neocosmicism in H. P. Lovecraft, Philip K. Dick, Robert A. Heinlein, and Frank Herbert by Ellen J Greenham


 

After Engulfment: Cosmicism and Neocosmicism in H. P. Lovecraft, Philip K. Dick, Robert A. Heinlein, and Frank Herbert by Ellen J Greenham 

340 pages Trade paperback,  

Hippocampus Press  

Cover by Dan Sauer 

The only thing I like to read as much as Horror and Science Fiction is criticism and history of the genre. So many blessings to whomever at Hippocampus Press decided that they wanted the hosts at the Dickheads podcast to read this book. It was a smart call as now I am dying to get Ellen Greenham the author of this book on the show. So stay tuned.

Hippocampus Press publishes a lot of books for an indie press, that includes classic horror and science fiction with an emphasis on  Lovecraft and the tradition of genre that Weird Tales magazine inspired. So that includes modern authors including my personal favorite John Shirley. One of the most important things that HP does is work with scholars covering these important works.  

Ellen J. Greenham is new to me, but I am excited to discover her work. A lecturer at Murdoch University in Perth Australia. For our concerns, she writes about Cosmicism which I admit I always labeled Cosmic horror. She also has written papers on Russian Science Fiction which is a topic I am interested in.  

The Subtitle: Cosmicism and NeoCosmicism in Philip K. Dick, Robert A. Heinlein, and Frank Herbert. I mean I am sold. I enjoy Lovecraft and all those writers except Heinlein. Well, I still have read enough of his work to enjoy a book that studies his work. Before we go even further I like the direction that the subtitle suggests right at the start. Cosmic horror is often thought of as the realm of horror and the weird tale exclusively. This book has lots of Lovecraft commentaries but keep in mind Howie was as much Science Fiction as he was horror.

What this book does through the lens of the three authors is point out that SF explores the dark nature of the cosmos. Herbert and Dick get the most attention and for Dickheads I assure you Greenham knows her PKD.

What this book does through the lens of the three authors is point out that SF explores the dark nature of the cosmos. Herbert and Dick get the most attention and for Dickheads I assure Greenham knows her PKD. The major focus is on a few key works, Scanner Darkly, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and my personal favorite Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch gets lots of attention. If you are thinking of Cosmic horror, I am trying to get used to her use of Cosmicism and Neo-Cosmicism. I admit there was sometimes the overly intense academic language that made me laugh. Let's be clear this is a fantastic work of literary criticism.

Broken up into three parts and thirteen chapters the structure is helpful. There is a glossary of terms and shortened titles that was very helpful. I admit I was confused that she shortened Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep as DAD, instead of DADES I do, so I had to adjust.  The first part was called Universe, these three parts serve to set the table explaining how these look at and talk about the universe.

The second section is called Cosmicism, and the idea is this section is about the ways these works interrogate our place in the universe, the third section Neo Cosmicism is how we attempt to align ourselves with the forces of the universe.  The conclusions are intensely researched and will help even the hardcore reader of these authors will feel a new understanding creep in as it goes on.

For Dickheads many of his cosmic touches are in the margins in tiny moments. There were a few works like A Maze of Death and Galactic Pot Healer I wish were commented on...but that is a nitpick. This is a great book of criticism. Anyone interested in the intersection of cosmic horror and science fiction must have this one.




No comments: