Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Book Review: Animal Alterity: Science Fiction and the Question of the Animal by Sherryl Vint


 

Animal Alterity: Science Fiction and the Question of the Animal by Sherryl Vint

Paperback, 256 pages
Published December 2013 by Liverpool University Press



I don’t do long reviews for non-fiction, especially those that I use for research for articles and books. Spoiler alert for the blog I quoted this author and book multiple times in an upcoming article on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I also have recorded an interview with the author for Dickheads coming soon-ish. So there is that.

As a life-long Science Fiction nerd and an animal rights person for the majority of that life, this book is like a combination of my passions in an interesting way. Vint as a researcher is always interested in how technology and life co-exist, but this book extends beyond our bodies to those of non-human animals.  In fact, the human-animal boundary is a huge part of the text. Vint doesn’t share her personal feelings on the page but I suspect the ideas will still be challenging for the average researcher.

From Pulp SF to modern novels Vint looks at how SF books and stories played with the question of animals. It is a rare book, I can think of no other that discusses the ideas Of Walter Miller Jr., Cordwainer Smith as it does Carol Adams and Peter Singer. The conclusion rightly lands on Clifford Simak’s classic novel City, which I feel is the most beautiful SF novel to address animal issues. The one book she didn’t write about that I wish was addressed is Neal Barrett Jr.’s Through Darkest America but that is a lost novel that should be but is not considered a classic. (I reviewed it here if you are interested in my thoughts on why it fits here)

 Animal Alterity is an important book for anyone interested in the history of smart, ethical Science Fiction. As a non-fiction text, it will now take a valued spot in my Science fiction Non-fiction shelf.

No comments: