Saturday, January 15, 2022

Book Review: The Happening Worlds of John Brunner: Critical Explorations in Science Fiction Edited by Joseph W. De Bolt (Editor)

 

(No cover art)

The Happening Worlds of John Brunner: Critical Explorations in Science Fiction Edited by Joseph W. De Bolt (Editor)

Hardcover, 216 pages
Published June 1975 by Kennikat Press

I read this as research for an article or two, or three about John Brunner who I personally think was the best sci-fi writer of the 20th century. I am super curious on how this book came to be. A couple of English professors at Central Michigan decided that the world needed an academic look at the work of British Science Fiction author John Brunner. Considering this was written when Brunner had yet to write of his masterpieces Shockwave Rider. This is a critical look at Brunner's work through 1974 when it was released. All by professors at Central Michigan, pretty hip for a small midwestern college in the early 70s.

 This 40-year-old book that was only briefly in print is a major source of quotes for the recent book on Brunner in the Modern Masters series. That is clearly the superior book but having this is important. I thought it would be impossible to find but shout-out to Dickheads listener Alan Ricks who is a rare books wiz and found one I could buy.

Murray State library copy that was discarded in Detroit and years later is now on my shelf. It was edited by Joe Debolt who died in 2017 and had also written a similar book in the 70s about Leguin. I don’t know much about him but he did great and was clearly a connected researcher. I am sure the Sci-fi research community was just starting to grow at the time. We know Professor McNeely was doing his thing at Fullerton at this time but I have no idea if there were many science fiction studies programs.

 Prefaced by Futurians members and all-timer Sci-fi legend James Blish and tapped off by a response by John Brunner himself. My copy is dog-eared, highlighted, and noted up and down. I am planning on writing several articles in the near future so some of my thoughts will be short here.
The most important part for me was the opening 60 pages that were a detailed biography, most of the facts made into the recent Jad Smith book, but the details here were fantastic. As a PKD researcher there is no shortage of detailed biographies out there but I honestly never expected to get a life story for Brunner. So that is special.

The second section is called Prose and Poetry and has three essays on Brunner’s writing style. The third section is Economics and Politics with two essays both have strengths but I really enjoyed William Browne’s essay on Governments in Brunner books that has hilarious tables that show how all the books end with a dysfunctional government.  There are two essays on science and Technology and those were the weakest of the essays in my opinion but that is an effect of Brunner being a soft science fiction writer who is way more interested in social-political themes.

I of course loved John Brunner’s response. The whole package is very insightful. Jad Smith’s Modern Masters book is still in print and written long after Brunner’s death so it is more complete. But if you are a serious Brunnette you need to read this too.

No comments: