Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Book Review: The Disordered Cosmos: A Journey into Dark Matter, Spacetime, and Dreams Deferred by Chanda Prescod-Weinstein


 


The Disordered Cosmos: A Journey into Dark Matter, Spacetime, and Dreams Deferred
by Chanda Prescod-Weinstein

Hardcover, 320 pages
Published March 9th 2021 by Bold Type Books



I am not even entirely sure what I thought this book would be but I am glad that I read it for sure. If I had life to do over again there are a few careers I am jealous of, maybe I wish I had pursued.  The academics who study Science Fiction are number one in my mind but second for sure would be the men and women who get to devote all or most of their time to space and cosmology. I generally assume they are all awesome and intelligent folks who are devoted to understanding the universe.

Enter Chanda Prescod-Weinstein or CPW as I am going to refer to her. This book has more than a few things to say but a great sentence that could set the tone is right here…

“Science is supposedly about asking questions, except about scientists and how science is done.”

While CPW does set the tone beautifully with some universe-spanning, and thought-provoking science. This is important because I feel before she went further, she had to let us all know that she is a serious scientist. The second half of the is highlighting her experiences often negative but not also with scientists and the science community.

I have already seen one or two reviews that didn’t like the mirror this work spun around and focused on the science community. Mad bros will not like the point of view of this progressive thinker whose views are radical in the science community for sure. It is hard to be a trailblazer but honestly, science bros are on notice now.

More scientists with a radical point of view are being trained every day. This younger generation has very different ideas of what is fair and just. Look it is clear that CWP compiled many of her musings over years of doing a blog into this book. This is a science book but it is more about her experience being a person of color, without privilege in science.  

“I believe we can keep what feels wondrous about the search for a mathematical description of the universe while disconnecting this work from its historical place in the hands of violently colonial nation-states.”

Can we decolonize the sciences? Most scientists will reject these ideas out of hand. They refuse to believe that cold hard science can be racist or sexist but the men (mostly) who are the foundations of science are still part of systems. Systems that oppress.

Yeah, I was uncomfortable a few times reading this book. It was challenged me and my assumptions. What better feeling than being moved in any kind of way by a book. I would tell others to read it for that reason. Burst your bubbles. On a political or cosmic scale, this one has both to offer.


No comments: