Monday, March 18, 2019

Book Review: Your Place in the Universe: Understanding Our Big, Messy Existence by Paul M. Sutter

Your Place in the Universe: Understanding Our Big, Messy Existence

by Paul M. Sutter

Hardcover, 288 pages

Published November 2018 by Prometheus Books

There are lots of books out there that attempt to explain life the universe and everything. This book is organized with the purpose of explaining the most massive of concepts - the working of the universe. I believe idea was to craft a book in Dr. Sutter's very sarcastic and unique voice.

I was not just talking about of his writing "Voice" but his actual voice. Dr. Sutter not only hosts his own podcast "Ask a Spaceman" but more importantly to me he is on one of my favorite podcasts "Weekly Space Hangout." I know his actual voice well enough when I woke up in the middle of the night (We often fall asleep with the radio on) and Dr. Sutter was on Coast to Coast promoting this book I recognized him right away.

I am not sure how someone who is a total novice would feel reading this book but as someone with lots of basis I enjoyed this book. The chapters are broken to various topics I know basics about. When and how the universe was formed, the basics of gravity, dark energy and more. What made this an experience for me is learning the details of who the outer space probes and telescopes are named after.

Sutter likes to talk in a conversational tone, but also uses humor throughout to keep things entertaining.My favorite chapters were the ones about the cosmic dawn and a guide to living in a expanding universe. Most of the ideas are ones I am familiar with for the various podcasts and websites I regularly check out but some of my favorite parts were the details of the history of the scientists who made these discoveries.

Fun book but note that I added it to my cosmic horror shelf on Goodreads. The vast scope of the universe is heavily documented at the end of the book. I am all for reminders that 60 miles of air separate us from a vast universe that has trillions of ways to kill us instantly.

No comments: