Monday, March 5, 2018

Book Review: Shaker by Scott Frank

Shaker by Scott Frank

Hardcover, 335 pages

Published January 2016 by Knopf

I have a interesting set of feelings when it comes to Scott Frank. I am a big of him as writer, even more so than I am of his actual work. Let me explain that a bit. I mean I love movies he has written Logan, Out of sight, Get Shorty and Minority Report for example. I really liked his new Netflix series Godless, and think it is the best modern western I have seen recently. But more than his films I have always enjoyed and learned from reading/ listening interviews with him on the craft of writing.

I remember a interview with him about Minority report in the now defunct Creative Screenwriting that taught me lessons about structure I still use today when telling any story.

Shaker is a crime novel. no weird elements or anything super natural but it is told with a really well laid out non-linear structure. The magic in this case is Frank's skills at telling this story for maximum impact.

I went into the book knowing nothing deciding to read this based on the strength of Frank's career. This was a wise move that I suggest doing, but if you need more convincing I will carry on. The story has many characters and the POV switches when need-be but the main focus is Roy Cooper. When we meet him he is a mystery hit man, we know he is badass but we don't know how or why. We follow him on a hit that he has to travel cross country to LA to do. He is not excited about leaving the east coast and can't wait to be done with LA.

The hit goes fine, but on his way out he happens upon a group of young wanna be gangstas mugging a middle aged jogger. What Roy doesn't know is that the victim is a candidate for mayor, so when he steps in and gets shot it makes front page news. The various factions from the ganagstas he beat up to the mobsters who sent him and the cops investigating him all swirl around the story.

The most interesting elements of the story are all Roy Cooper, who and what he is. Sure there are surprising and funny events along the way. The back story of Roy Cooper is brutal, and heartbreaking, it is the heart of what makes this crime novel special and step above.

Do I think this is a must read? Not really, but I enjoyed it alot and I think crime readers will enjoy it. Scott Frank is a great writer and I hope this is not the last novel we get from him. I will read or watch anything he does.

No comments: